Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Marriage: The Way I See It

Sigh *Takes A Deep Breath* Today I'm going to be honest on how I view marriage. Being in my 30s never married and still a virgin I am really surprisingly am not anxious about it. In fact after Bible College I went through a time of not wanting to be married. Point blank I feel marriage is the 2nd most important decision after salvation. Why? Because the person God has to "complete" you is pivotal to your destiny. I've been called to full time ministry. As glamourous as some ministers have made it appear it's an occupation of an acquired taste in that it's definitely NOT for everybody. Your spouse has to be settled and really o.k. with that. Thinking that you will be married to a minister and not involved with that is RED FLAG number one. I've been in many relationships I thought was God because of what I saw. Then God told me to end because the bottom line was those relationships would have pulled me away from what He called me to do at ten. Everybody has their reasons for wanting to be married. The one that promote fear are not the good ones. Physical and social reasonings are shallow and definitely not good reasons. I personally believe you CAN be unequally yolked with a believer if they don't have the same standards and SPIRITUAL goals as you. There has to be agreement. Two can't even walk together unless they agree on where they want to go. (RED FLAG number two.) I believe you need to connect in the SPIRIT first. If God doesn't join you together the whole endeavor will be in vain because in the hard times only what God has ordained will not be shaken from your life. Is romance and the other stuff good. OF COURSE but the foundation of anything that lasts is God and His Word. Many try to connect through the soul (mind, will and emotions) through things in common. People even when that doesn't work feel they can change somebody or just look at what they need selfishly and not about the covenant. (RED FLAG number three). There is no instant happily ever after, but there is a covenant and work. Our relationship with our spouse is like ours with God in that we exchange strength for weaknesses. The one who has mastered something is there to cover the others weakness there and not to prove they are right. The marriage covenant increases spiritual power exponentially (and not just doubles it). Lack of agreement saps a covenant of the very power God has given it to stand. (Remember RED FLAG number 2?) A healthy marriage lets both involved fulfill their God given destiny as the man protects and the wife nurtures. Your spouse speaks to the KING in you and builds that which does not feed the FOOL in you. All this while treading the storms and seasons of life. There is an equal commitment to God then to each other, God is the only one that comes before each other. In fact He's the one that even holds your marriage together, Your spouse is your first ministry after God. That's why when a church, career, kids, etc. is given that place the spouse feels slighted, You are one flesh so you're actually disrespecting yourself when you do that. Those are just some things as I see them I am by no means saying that's everything but I just felt to share that today. Feel free to comment and share your thoughts, God Bless.

No comments: