Saturday, May 01, 2010

To Obey Is Better Than Sacrifice

1 Samuel 15:22b "Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams."

Pretty much this sums up a hard life lesson for me. Our good intentions are just that in the face of what God tells us to do and nothing more. What he wants from us is obedience. Growing up having to find my own way in many things I sort of fell in love with "control". I really defended myself and resisted being "controlled" by anyone. It seems everybody wants you to react or do something in a situation they would do. This habit was reinforced but disobeying and deceiving my parent. Then it was justified by the childish "Nobody's going to tell me what to do." Behold the rebellion. When people were trying to help I was too "rock headed" to listen. Unfortunately that hardness makes it's way to your heart. We deceive ourselves like King Saul due to this hardness believing we obeyed and believing we are justified. This took me through a season of learning to obey the voice of God. Yes I admit on in many pivotal moments of my life I let emotion, hurt and rejection rule my decisions. But there comes a time in everybody's life where you will either drop the ball or embrace what you need to do to pursue your destiny. Obedience is something society teaches us to resist. It glorifies the rebel and make them a hero. It sensationalizes criminals who break the law. We drink in the fruit of disobedience through many ways some subtle, some not so subtle.

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Romans 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.

Colossians 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:
23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

Obedience is truly honoring God and His Word. It is putting Him first over our feeling, emotions, situations and mindsets. It doesn't really matter about the person commanding you. When I began to understand this my attitude toward obedience totally changed. My obedience shouldn't be based on reward, looking holy or advantage but to please and honor God even if people didn't see it or even understand. Obeying God as the ultimate authority. He rewards my obedience not men. Let's honor God today by Obeying Him in all things.

No comments: